How To Write A Great Product Title
Every time we see someone list their lovely UnNew Outdoor™ gear with a bland product title like, “Women’s Sandals” or “Large tent,” we think, “Darn it, they could have sold that better.” Because when people are shopping online, they’re skimming and scanning and scrolling—which means they’re glancing at your item for just a fraction of a second and then moving on.
So you need to think about what makes your item unique or sought-after and incorporate that in the title as much as you can. There is a 64-character limit, which makes the exercise into a fun little puzzle to optimize. (Fortunately, the brand name is separate from that character limit.)
Don’t fret—this doesn’t have to be tricky. Just think on it--do you have a “sleeping bag,” or is it a “Marmot Trestles Women’s 15-degree Sleeping Bag, Teal Blue”? Now you’ve added the brand name, Marmot, which is well respected—and you noted the gender it was designed for, and the degree rating, and even the color. It’s much easier for a likely buyer to find your item, whether they’re scrolling through listings or searching specifically for their favorite brand, which happens to be Marmot.
Don’t sell yourself short. Make it easy to find your item and see why it’s great.
- Fill in the brand name, watching out for typos and little errors that would cause it to be missed in search filters.
- Make full use of your 64-character limit.
- Include the product name if you know it or can find it online.
- Include the gender, if applicable.
- Include the size (whether that’s ski length, shoe size, or how many people a tent is intended for).
- Include condition if you can—is it brand new, barely used, or gloriously battle-tested?
- Mention the color or print if possible.
- If you have any leftover characters (luckyyyy) spend them on something good: can you add that your tent is a winter-camping tent, or your jacket is waterproof?
You don’t have to be a writing expert to give your product a good title—just follow the checklist above, think about who is likely to want the item, and prioritize what to say. Then add a good variety of well-shot product photos (see our guide here) and a thorough description (see our guide here). And, voila! Your item is sure to find a great new home soon—and you’ll get a little cash-money in return. We love win-wins.
For more info on How to Sell click here
Beth Lopez is a seasoned writer and creative director who loves to tell tales of adventure and discovery—and finds writing a powerful way to give a voice to people, causes, and places. Beth runs amok in the Wasatch mountains when untethered from her computer. She believes there’s no such thing as a bad ski day and considers animals her favorite people. Don’t tell her mother about her Instagram mountaineering photos.